For this assignment, I was definitely challenged. The past assignments have been all about design, layout, pictures and then all of a sudden, I have to write three 500-word articles to put into a newsletter that I have to design.
This newsletter is intended to go out to alumni and current members of the Theta Gamma chapter. I added the crest and the purpose to the newsletter because it is such an influential part of Delta Delta Delta. I also used a Serif font for the headers, decks, bylines and cutlines to emphasize those words. For the text, I used a sans serif font to change things up and make it look clean.
(CLICK PICTURES TO ENLARGE IMAGES)
The assignment challenged me in ways I didn’t think I could be challenged. Making sure everything looked clean, the fonts work together and even the colors meshing was more complicated than I originally thought. I liked the assignment and enjoyed the challenges it brought me.
On my newsletter, I incorporated blue and yellow- Tri Delta’s colors and used black for the feature story font. This ensured that it was readable and looked clean. I also put in some jokes and important dates to keep the reader attentive.
I also used a QR code to get to the Facebook of one of Tri Delta’s events for more information. I feel like this helped me cut down my story since all 500-words did not fit.
All in all, I enjoyed the assignment and I am glad I learned how to make a functional newsletter that I can add to my portfolio.
Originally posted at Claire White